PDA

View Full Version : Natural or Epidural Childbirth?

CrystalRose
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008, 12:44 AM
What are your thoughts on natural childbirth vs. epidural?

I want to "enjoy" the full, primal experience whereas we live in the twenty-first century, and have the drugs available. So why not go at it with a little less pain? Both seem to have pros and cons.

ladybright
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008, 03:07 AM
I am a HUGE fan of midwives and natural childbirth. I would not call it enjoyable in its parts but being there for the whole thing was amazing. I went natural with support from my husband (and mother & MIL with the first). I mean real physical support as well as breath coaching and translating for me during transition when I could not speak in full sentences. I tolerated a heparin lock and intermittent fetal monitoring with both.

If you or your baby need interventions then so be it. If in the future I need some kind of drug, episiotomy or even c-section then so be it. Just do your best. You might be surprised at your own strength and power.

BeornWulfWer
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Having seen the size of the head coming out of my partner for the first child, I would safely asked to be knocked unconscious.

Suffice to say, I did not look below the waistline on the birth of the second.

Hanna
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I''ll for 100% sure will go for Caesarean, and please ladies don't judge me, if I'm forced to having pain never ever will I have a child. I can't stand pain and Epidural will help but I rather stick to my figure.

Mrs. Lyfing
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Good question Crystal. I respect any woman who can deliver without epidural, but I was not one of them.

When I had my first child, I was to be at the hospital at 7 am so they could induce labor. It turned out to be the longest process ever, or it seemed so anyways. They gave me epidural when time only it really didn't work for me. :(

I believe around 7 pm I was ready to push, so I pushed and pushed and nothing happened. I pushed until almost 10 pm, and I finally told the doctor, I could not do this anymore, I knew my body and it just wasn't happening. I was exhausted.

So, I was took in for a c-section right after. They gave me so much meds I finally felt at ease. :) During the surgery I only felt a little pressure. It went well and he was born at 10:55 pm. I remember laying there listening to my doctor and the others just talking about vacations and the weather and thought...hmmm:) I hope they are still concentrating on me!

2 years later here we go again. Except this time I am suppose to just go ahead and have a c-section again, since I had one prior. So, I went in confident since I had done been through this and knew it wasn't so bad, man was I wrong. I was given epidural and again it didn't work. Only I didn't know until I was already in surgery, I felt every cut as if I was given nothing, I cried and screamed and tried to fight them because it hurt so much thats all I could do, I couldn't understand why the first one was painless and this one was so not! They continue to dope me up as it continued on and it finally came to a point where I could still feel everything, but I couldn't move. It felt like being dead but still alive. :confused: Finally she came out at 2 pm and it was over.

Later, I asked the doctor why it went so awful? All he could tell me was something about scar tissue causing it. I never found out why epidural failed me?...twice.

Bärin
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM
My mother needed a c-section for me absolutely because a normal delivery would have put my life in danger. I'm not going to ask for drugs or c-section, unless it's really medically necessary. I'm reading about births and it says the more drugged you are the less you will feel things below the waist and so it might be harder to push properly and give birth to your baby properly. So I'm going to go with the pain. The idea of it scares me but it's amazing how much pain the human body can stand and recover. I used to have a phobia of menstruation when I was a child. I couldn't imagine coping with the pain and with the idea of bleeding a few days a month. And I have to say for me the menstruation is actually extremely painful (my belly hurts so much that I kind of feel thankful for being pregnant now and not having to worry about it for the next months :D) but I don't take medication all the time because then I will become dependent and not learn to cope with the pain. So I'm willing to hurt for some hours when I give birth. :)

CrystalRose
Monday, August 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Good question Crystal. I respect any woman who can deliver without epidural, but I was not one of them.

When I had my first child, I was to be at the hospital at 7 am so they could induce labor. It turned out to be the longest process ever, or it seemed so anyways. They gave me epidural when time only it really didn't work for me. :(

I believe around 7 pm I was ready to push, so I pushed and pushed and nothing happened. I pushed until almost 10 pm, and I finally told the doctor, I could not do this anymore, I knew my body and it just wasn't happening. I was exhausted.

So, I was took in for a c-section right after. They gave me so much meds I finally felt at ease. :) During the surgery I only felt a little pressure. It went well and he was born at 10:55 pm. I remember laying there listening to my doctor and the others just talking about vacations and the weather and thought...hmmm:) I hope they are still concentrating on me!

2 years later here we go again. Except this time I am suppose to just go ahead and have a c-section again, since I had one prior. So, I went in confident since I had done been through this and knew it wasn't so bad, man was I wrong. I was given epidural and again it didn't work. Only I didn't know until I was already in surgery, I felt every cut as if I was given nothing, I cried and screamed and tried to fight them because it hurt so much thats all I could do, I couldn't understand why the first one was painless and this one was so not! They continue to dope me up as it continued on and it finally came to a point where I could still feel everything, but I couldn't move. It felt like being dead but still alive. :confused: Finally she came out at 2 pm and it was over.

Later, I asked the doctor why it went so awful? All he could tell me was something about scar tissue causing it. I never found out why epidural failed me?...twice.

Maybe you have a tolerance built up ;) lay off the epidurals would ya? lol

Scar tissue is brutal, always difficult to break through.

But after reading this, i'm thinking twice about this whole preservation issue.. :p That whole feeling dead but still alive thing cured me of children. Haha I think i'm good. :D

Bridie
Monday, August 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I went for natural childbirth with my 3... in fact, I was tossing up between a home birth and a birthing centre ( http://www.birthnet.com.au/Info.asp?class=6604&page=1 ), but decided to go for the "safer" option and chose the birthing centre.

I had a few reasons for choosing no medical intervention in my labours/births...

1) Using drugs can increase the likelihood of complications during labour, (including increasing the likelihood of needing emergency c/s, forceps and vacuum extraction), which can, in turn, increase the risks to baby's health.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-11615860_ITM

2) I'm of the belief that because birthing is a natural process that women's bodies have evolved to experience and recover well from, I was naturally equipped to handle a natural labour if only I believed in myself. (If women, since the beginning of time, could go through childbirth - often 10+ times in their lifetimes - I sure as hell could too! :D)

3) I read a couple of studies years ago that linked intervention in childbirth with greater difficulties for the mother to establish breastfeeding and even emotional bonding with her baby.

4) I was young and healthy and had low risk pregnancies (ie, no underlying health problems that may indicate that intervention would be necessary).

5) I didn't want any Doctors present at my labours.

6) I have a phobia of drugs and being out of control. :p

All in all, I was very happy with my decision to not use drugs, nor other interventions in my childbirthing experiences. My labours were THE MOST empowering experiences of my lifetime, and I would not change them for the world. After giving birth to my first baby I remember thinking "I am SUPERWOMAN!! :D Now that I've been through that, nothing else can ever scare me again. :D" I gained a confidence and pride in my body in a way that no other experience could ever even come close to giving me.

And I have to say for me the menstruation is actually extremely painful (my belly hurts so much that I kind of feel thankful for being pregnant now and not having to worry about it for the next months )

One of the nice changes that often occurs in women's bodies after childbirthing is a change in menstrual patterns... often women who have painful, irregular and/or heavy periods before having babies find that after having experienced pregnancy and childbirth their periods are less painful (if any pain at all), lighter and sometimes more regular too. This has certainly been my experience. Before having babies my periods were so painful that I was totally debilitated for a couple of days out of every cycle, I couldn't function at all..... would just lay in bed feeling like I was dying :p, but after having babies I get absolutely NO pain at all. :)

Oh, and here is another benefit for women's health after having babies :) ...

* decreases risk of breast cancer
http://www.imaginis.com/breasthealth/news/news1.24.01.asp

IvyLeaguer
Friday, October 31st, 2008, 12:44 AM
I had my son in a German hospital 13 years ago and wasn't ever given an option. I had a natural childbirth. After the birth you actually forget the physical pain you were in during labor. Stay in as good physical condition as you possibly can. Don't gain too much weight and keep your body fit by walking and staying active while pregnant.

If I could go back in time and do the birth again, I would have opted to not have him at a hospital and do it alone by myself at home. The way I was treated by my son's father, his new girlfriend, and the hospital staff has haunted me to this day. I was at a Catholic hospital in Heidelberg and I've never been treated so badly in my entire life. The good thing is, however, I lost all hope in that religion and started investigating my pagan roots. Now I'm here with you fine folks. :)

I haven't been able to bring myself to have another child again after this. My advice to all expecting mothers is this. Make sure you have your baby somewhere you feel safe and comfortable. Check out the facility well beforehand and make sure the staff and doctors are people you feel well around, and that you will always be treated with respect and dignity. While the physical pain was very minimal for me, being treated like an animal / sub-human is the last thing you need when you are going though this. Make sure you have emotional support at all times and everything will be fine in the long-run.

QuietWind
Friday, October 31st, 2008, 02:16 AM
I''ll for 100% sure will go for Caesarean, and please ladies don't judge me, if I'm forced to having pain never ever will I have a child. I can't stand pain and Epidural will help but I rather stick to my figure.

If your reasoning for C-section is no pain and keeping your figure..... then you better go with the epidural and vaginal birth instead. ;) Having had children both ways, I can honestly tell you that your first C-section is much, much more painful than a vaginal with epidural. Mine was so bad, I felt like I was dying. My second and third were better, but the doc said it was because the nerves had already been severed from the first. As far as figure goes.... you can usually begin exercising much sooner after a vaginal delivery than a c-section. After a c-section they do not even recommend that you carry anything over a certain weight for some weeks after.

To answer the original thread question..... I am not having any more children. I have four. One delivered vaginal with an epidural and the last three by c-section (due to necessity). I did not want an epidural with my first, but by the time I got to the hospital I wanted it. :thumbup I was glad I had it. I know some women who go completely natural, and I am all for that if a woman wants to.

For the women who went natural, did any of you rip or have an episiotomy? I am curious if you felt that part or did the pain from childbirth mask it? Also, was there any pain with the stitching after the birth, for those who went natural and ripped or had an episotomy? If you don't want to answer in the thread, you can put it in a rep point comment or PM.