PDA

View Full Version : Australians More Obese Than Americans, Study Finds

Hanna
Saturday, July 26th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Australia has a higher proportion of obese people than the United States, with the health system facing a "fat bomb" unless action is taken, a study warned Thursday.
The report from the Baker Heart Institute found that 70 percent of men and 60 percent of women aged 45-65 had a body mass index of 25 or more, meaning they were overweight or obese.

Titled "Australia's Future Fat Bomb," the study compiled the results of height and weight checks carried out on 14,000 adult Australians in 2005.

The institute's head of preventative cardiology professor Simon Stewart said the results meant Australia probably had the highest rate of obesity in the world, outweighing even the United States.

"As we send our athletes off to the Olympics let's reflect on the fact that we would win the gold medal problem now in the world fat Olympics if there was such a thing," he said.

Stewart said obesity was the major threat to Australia's future health, with an estimated nine million of the 21 million population obese or overweight.

"That is a whole million more obese adults than we had thought," he said.

The study predicted there would be an extra 700,000 heart-related hospital admissions in the next 20 years due to obesity and almost 125,000 people would die because of the condition in that period.

The report calls for a national weightloss strategy on the scale of smoking and skin cancer campaigns, including subsidising gym memberships and personal training sessions.

It suggested hospital waiting lists could be prioritised on the basis of weightloss, to give obese people incentive to slim down.

"These are some of the controversial things we need to deal with because the healthcare system is going to be overwhelmed by weight-related hospitalisations from knee replacements through to heart attacks and strokes," Stewart said.

The report was submitted to a federal government inquiry into obesity.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080619121714.l4my6v8z&show_article=1

This is good for the U.S., you're are no longer the big and ....... sorry on the list.:)

Crimson Guard
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Hanna, in the USA, it tends to be Black Americans more than Whites, and more the rural south. Mississippi has been always the most obese state in the Union consecutively for a long time now.

Mississippi remains most obese state, CDC reports

"The South also has a large concentration of rural residents and black women _ two groups that tend to have higher obesity rates, he said.

The study found that about 36 percent of black survey participants were obese, while 28.5 percent of Hispanics and 24.5 percent of whites were.

High poverty rates in the South probably are another factor, said Naa Oyo Kwate, assistant professor of sociomedical sciences at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health.

In today's America, poor people tend to be obese: The cheapest foods tend to be calorie-heavy, and stores offering healthier, and more expensive, food choices are not often found in poor neighborhoods, she said. "

Theres a Map there too of Obesity by state:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/18/AR2008071800138.html

Brynhild
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 02:00 AM
What they're also failing to mention is that the statistics are drawn up by a per capita percentage.

Australia has a population of only around 21 million, compared to America's 200+.

Yes, there are fat Australians, and there are irresponsible people who refuse to look after themselves properly, but I personally believe the figures to be grossly exaggerated.

Crimson Guard
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Britain has been doing pretty badly too with obsesity to the point they've been calling it a epidemic. It seems they cant figure out why?:eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1034850/Poor-weather-blame-Britains-obesity-epidemic-scientists-say.html

The more people stray off their normal traditional or healthy cuisines and eat a lotve fats and exercise less, its really a no brainer as to why people are getting larger and sicker. Greasy fast foods has been picking up all over Europe now unfortunately. It has to be combated in time.

Gorm the Old
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 03:16 AM
EGAD !

You mean that there are actually people fatter than us Americans ?! Granted that a larger percentage of blacks become obese early in life, there are plenty of grossly adipose whites as well. The fast-food restaurants are full of 'em. There's one, called the Heavenly Hog, in which the seats are too small for the butts of the patrons which overlap them on all sides. :rolleyes:

Cuchulain
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 03:59 AM
What they're also failing to mention is that the statistics are drawn up by a per capita percentage.

Australia has a population of only around 21 million, compared to America's 200+.

Yes, there are fat Australians, and there are irresponsible people who refuse to look after themselves properly, but I personally believe the figures to be grossly exaggerated.

How would a per capita average distort the figures? Per Capita is perfect for comparing groups of different sizes.

Brynhild
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM
How would a per capita average distort the figures? Per Capita is perfect for comparing groups of different sizes.

The fact remains that there are only 21 mill in Aus, as opposed to 200 in America. Per capita is a good percentage, but the figures are only targetting a specific type of people IMO.

I'm not disputing a problem, because there is, with all the fast food chains on virtually every street corner these days. Move away from the cities (in Aus at least) and the problems of obesity don't seem to be as severe.

I'm just cynical in that I don't set much in store by statistics.

Cuchulain
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
The fact remains that there are only 21 mill in Aus, as opposed to 200 in America. Per capita is a good percentage, but the figures are only targetting a specific type of people IMO.

I'm not disputing a problem, because there is, with all the fast food chains on virtually every street corner these days. Move away from the cities (in Aus at least) and the problems of obesity don't seem to be as severe.

I'm just cynical in that I don't set much in store by statistics.

The reason a per capita average is accurate is because of the difference in population size.

What specific type of people did you mean?

I agree, statistics can be made to say pretty much anything.

theTasmanian
Friday, August 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
one of the "other" problems with the way its done is how are they judging who is obese?

i would be in that category just by height and weight.....but if you include muscle mass im not so it can be misleading ;)

Thrymheim
Friday, August 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'm guessing that what Brynhild means is that the measurements would have been done on city folk who tend to be larger anyway. Certainly here it seems that way, could be down to wealthy people living away from the citys.

theTasmanian
Friday, August 1st, 2008, 11:58 PM
not that it would work......as there are plenty of fat country people

it works as a % but it will not open peoples eye to all the issues of weight

the number of fat kids(mine are not) about amazes me in my child hood it was odd to have a fat kid about

still being told your the fattest nation is a wake up for some

Bridie
Sunday, August 3rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Having traveled throughout both Australia and the US before, I find it VERY difficult to believe that Australia's obesity epidemic is even worse than the US's. :D In fact, I would say that there are generally more fatties in England than there are in Australia too. :p

However, there are probably more "slightly overweight" people in Australia than in the US (and more "slightly overweight" people in England too compared with the US). The US seems to be a land of extremes.... there you find the extremely, morbidly obese in numbers that you won't find anywhere else in the world (I'm sure), but you are also likely to find more extremely underweight people there than anywhere else in the world at the same time. Relatively few people seem to be of an average healthy weight.

I guess the Americans don't like to do things in halves... maybe they figure that if you're going to be fat, you may as well do a proper job of it and get so fat that you can barely fit through doors anymore... or if you're going to be skinny, you may as well go all the way and get so skinny that you give coat hangers a run for their money. :D

In Australia we like to just get fat enough to look like crap, but we won't break any records... same goes for skinny minnies.

Rhydderch
Monday, August 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
However, there are probably more "slightly overweight" people in Australia than in the USYes, I was thinking just that. My perception is that a fairly large number of Australians are overweight, but not seriously so. (That could be consistent with the survey, although it's also possible they're using different standards in different countries).

Mind you, the number of seriously overweight people I see around is still disgraceful, even in a regional town. Rural people are quite often what I'd call "beefy", i.e. a fair bit of muscle, but somewhat overweight. Farmers can't normally get away with being seriously overweight, although it's commoner nowadays with all the tractors, farm machinery and whatnot.

LaNordisante
Tuesday, August 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I guess the Americans don't like to do things in halves... maybe they figure that if you're going to be fat, you may as well do a proper job of it and get so fat that you can barely fit through doors anymore... or if you're going to be skinny, you may as well go all the way and get so skinny that you give coat hangers a run for their money. :D

In Australia we like to just get fat enough to look like crap, but we won't break any records... same goes for skinny minnies.

I've noticed that too about the US, not just in weight but with everything else. Even with political views, in the US people are either very conservative or very liberal, there seems to be no gray areas.

Also, someone mentioned more black Americans being overweight, I noticed that to be true. I also heard that blacks have higher rates of hypothyroidism, not just in the US but also in Western Africa, where the ancestors of most black Americans come from, so this could be a cause. The difference, though, is the West African diet consists of a lot of foods which actually help regulate thyroid function, such as yucca, yams, and salt water fish.

But obesity is not an Australian problem, or an American problem, or even a Western problem, it is on the rise worldwide.

MockTurtle
Tuesday, August 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I guess the Americans don't like to do things in halves... maybe they figure that if you're going to be fat, you may as well do a proper job of it and get so fat that you can barely fit through doors anymore... or if you're going to be skinny, you may as well go all the way and get so skinny that you give coat hangers a run for their money.

I'm not sure about that, but it is true that America is certainly a place of vast 'diversity' in practically every possible category, including health and fitness. Things are so different in some areas of the country that 'national statistics' are pretty much meaningless. They don't give an accurate picture of anything because certain places are so utterly unlike other places.

For instance, here in the Pacific NW, we are consistently ranked the 'fittest region' in terms of obesity rates; having lived here my whole life, I can easily verify that this is true. People here exercise regularly and take much better care of themselves when compared with other parts of the country. What use are 'national statistics' for people in this region?

theTasmanian
Wednesday, August 6th, 2008, 11:14 PM
its a pity it would "cost" so much but a survey of all the people of this country(and America would be interesting) as you could then put a place state etc on to the fat tag

i think tassy has a high number of "beefy" farmer types;)

Bridie
Sunday, October 19th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Well, my parents have just come back from a holiday in the Eastern States (Queensland, NSW and Victoria) and from what they tell me of what it's like over there now, I'm not surprised at all that Australia is now the fattest country on earth! :AWW How quickly things can change. Mind you, my parents also had the same tales of mass obesity when they came back from a holiday to the US.... so I guess Australia is only winning in the obesity stakes by a small margin. :P

Just another reason for Western Australia to secede....

SwordOfTheVistula
Sunday, October 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Obesity by state: New England is the healthiest region, the South the most obese. There's cultural differences in food and outdoors activities, also in racial makeup.

http://calorielab.com/news/wp-images/post-images/fattest-states-2008-468.gif

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/11/...rica/obese.php

Ogden added that the trend for women was "great news." Obesity rates have held at about 35 percent since 1999, convincing her that the tide had changed. "I'm optimistic that it really is leveling off," she said.

Men's rates increased until 2003, when they hit 33 percent and stayed there through the 2005-6 survey

Older study from 2000:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/o/obesity/stats.htm

* 21.3% white men in the US 2000 (National Health, 2000 Interview Survey, NCHS, CDC)
* 19.6% white women in the US 2000 (National Health, 2000 Interview Survey, NCHS, CDC)
* 24.4% African American men in the US 2000 (National Health, 2000 Interview Survey, NCHS, CDC)
* 35.9% African American women in the US 2000 (National Health, 2000 Interview Survey, NCHS, CDC)
* 23% Hispanic/Latino men in the US 2000 (National Health, 2000 Interview Survey, NCHS, CDC)
* 26.1% Hispanic/Latino women in the US 2000 (National Health, 2000 Interview Survey, NCHS, CDC)
* 38.9% American Indian and Alaska Native men in the US 2000 (National Health, 2000 Interview Survey, NCHS, CDC)
* 43.2% American Indian and Alaska Native women in the US 2000 (National Health, 2000 Interview Survey, NCHS, CDC)
* 6.0% Asian American men in the US 2000 (National Health, 2000 Interview Survey, NCHS, CDC)
* 8.3% Asian American women in the US 2000 (National Health, 2000 Interview Survey, NCHS, CDC)

Jäger
Sunday, October 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Obesity by state: New England is the healthiest region, the South the most obese. There's cultural differences in food and outdoors activities, also in racial makeup.

http://calorielab.com/news/wp-images/post-images/fattest-states-2008-468.gif
I find these numbers pretty surprising, both extremes are almost unbelievable, Colorado with an BMI of 18.4 on average? What extremly skinny people do they need there to get to such an average?
And Mississippi 31.6 on average? So theoretically a complete state is not only overweight, but completely obese?

Your second source is interesting too, and confimrs my personal observations, whites (or by trend more nordish) people seem to be the only population where the females are less overweight than males.

SwordOfTheVistula
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I find these numbers pretty surprising, both extremes are almost unbelievable, Colorado with an BMI of 18.4 on average? What extremly skinny people do they need there to get to such an average?

It's full of mountain climbers, hikers, kayakers, mountain bikers, and other people into outdoors/extreme sports, also a lot of vegetarians.

http://www.kscland.com/images/MtnBiking1.jpg

And Mississippi 31.6 on average? So theoretically a complete state is not only overweight, but completely obese?

I've never been there, but it has a lot of black people apparently, and has a reputation in the rest of the country as being full of extremely unmotivated people (even the white ones). I grew up on the border of 'southern' and 'midwestern' culture, the first job I had out of college, my department consisted of myself plus a normal sized gay guy and 9 women-every single one of them extremely obese. So yeah, I can conceive of an entire state being obese, it's probably hard to imagine for a European, but these people eat terrible foods every day-fast food, fried chicken, pork rinds; and get no more exercise than the amount to walk to and from their car. People in large cities here will leave their car stopped in the middle of the street in front of a store rather than park a block or 2 away and walk that distance to the store.

Deary
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
The percentage of obese individuals in Mississippi seems to nearly line up with the percentage of black residents. Mississippi is 37% black, and the state with the greatest amount of blacks in all the U.S. Likely most of those who are obese in Mississippi are black. I've been there dozens of times on family visits and I can say that the majority of fat people I saw were black, not white. We might've grew up on fried chicken and all, but my family learned about portion control and we got plenty of exercise in one way or another. Negroes, on the other hand, seem to be far less concerned about their health and seem more reliant on fast food or cheap, unhealthy food from the grocery store. Their kind also seems to be far less discriminating against fat folks. Keep in mind though, except for Jackson, Hattisburg and the coastal cities like Gulfport and Biloxi, Mississippi is largely rural. It takes a while just to reach the grocery store or high school in most parts and often there ain't nothing too special to go see except a football game or a church event. Heck, if I lived there, I'd be a little unmotivated too :P

SlíNanGael
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Depending on location too, if it is not an area high in blacks, it may very well be Mexicans which distort these numbers. At the grocery store these people pack their carts full of red meat and foods with tons of white flour. Anyone who has been to a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania will probably have been victims of aisle-traffic behind these dumpy folk as they select their dietary poisons.