PDA

View Full Version : Religious Dilemma!

Hanna
Saturday, July 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
:confused:

I'm just wondering why, underdeveloped countries such as Congo,Haiti, and also Zimbabwe doing really bad economically. And also considered the poorest and worst in the world, meanwhile the non-christian countries such as Japan, South Korea and UAE are doing pretty well. I hope my statement is not over speculating. :(

Mazorquero
Saturday, July 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
IMHO in general religions coming from behind the Urals are based in opression and fear, and everything is explained with arcane axioms that cannot be put under observation. Hinduism and Abrahamic religions follow this pattern. In the Bible expressions like "we fear you, Lord" are very common, perhaps more common than "we love you". It's logical to me that societies following strictly these lines of thought will perish. Please observe that regions like LatAm in which there's still a strong Catholic feeling, are very poor and ignorant compared with countries in which despite being Christian for the most, the population doesn't care much about it.
I believe that Central and Northern Europe had greater achievements than Southern Europe in this last 200 years because Protestantism admits more freedom of thought than Catholicism.
Countries like Japan and Korea have a noticeable amount of Budhists among them. Budhism is perhaps the only atheist religion of the world, because atheism means "without gods" literally. Budha is not considered a god, he was just a man who achieved (according to budhists) a superior state of knowledge, and used it to give advices to his people. Budhism seems to follow more natural laws than the Judeo-Christian tradition, and that's an advantage. However, we must kept into account that social life in the Far East is full of conflicts nowadays, because there are still religions coexisting with Budhism that (unlike Budhism) follow very strict protocols (notice that Japanese adolescents are among the most conflictive ones in the world with high suicidal tendencies).
European religions aren't equal to Budhism but have similar effects. The big diference and main reason of the European supremacy is the following IMO: there are gods, but the common man can interact with them and in some ocations mortals beat those gods. This can be seen in many stories featuring Loki, and is very common in Graeco-Roman mythology. European gods aren't rulers but administrators. So these are religions in which the spirit is "we can do godlike things if we want", and that's an encouraging and optimistic spirit.
It would be very interesting if someone can post facts about Persian religion, I'd like to see if it's more similar to other Asian religions or to European ones.

Ĉmeric
Saturday, July 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM

I'm just wondering why, underdeveloped countries such as Congo,Haiti, and also Zimbabwe doing really bad economically.:(

I don't think Congo & Zimbabwe are really Chrisitian. And Haiti is just quasi-Catholic. Voodoo or Santaria, based on traditional African beliefs/witchcraft are very strong in Haiti. Gee, do you think those nations might have something else in common to account for their poor economic performance.;)

And also considered the poorest and worst in the world, meanwhile the non-christian countries such as Japan, South Korea and UAE are doing pretty well. I hope my statement is not over speculating. :(

The UAE is doing well because they have lots of oil & a relatively small population. If they didn't have oil, they would be as prosperous as Yemen or Somalia. Japan & South Korea have done very well in recent decades but a lot of that can be accounted for by dumb US trade policies that allowed both nations access to the US market.

In the past Calvinist Protestant societies have been very successful economically. The Netherlands & America for example & many leading industrialists in England during the start of the industrial revolution were Calvinists.

Janus
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008, 03:19 AM
That has nothing to do with religion. I'm sure you know enough about the politically correct and incorrect arguments speaking against African countries. UAE are simply rich because they are intelligent tradespeople with oil and a very good sense for business. Japan and Korea have done so well because their culture promotes learning and puts an enormenous emphasize on work ethics aswell as on education. Comparable to Calvinistic work ethics.

EQ Fighter
Tuesday, August 26th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Hanna

I'm just wondering why, underdeveloped countries such as Congo,Haiti, and also Zimbabwe doing really bad economically. And also considered the poorest and worst in the world, meanwhile the non-christian countries such as Japan, South Korea and UAE are doing pretty well. I hope my statement is not over speculating.

I would say the US has done pretty well and we are mostly a Christian country. The closest competitor to the United States was the USSR, and they were essentially Atheist and Communist. But they had an extremely inefficient system, and were propped up by massive natural resources.

As far as Congo,Haiti, and also Zimbabwe, they have no real development of technology and have mostly peasant societies, that are not motivated to develop advanced technology.

It has very little to do with their religion, and everything to do with the efficiency at which their society runs, and is supported by natural resources.

But I would say the Asians specifically have a real proficiency and enthusiasm for the electronic development, and are the major innovators worldwide in that specific area.

MockTurtle
Friday, August 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM

I'm just wondering why, underdeveloped countries such as Congo,Haiti, and also Zimbabwe doing really bad economically. And also considered the poorest and worst in the world, meanwhile the non-christian countries such as Japan, South Korea and UAE are doing pretty well. I hope my statement is not over speculating. :(

Lol, this CAN'T be a serious thread. If for some crazy, unbelievable reason it actually is, the fundamental reason why Congo/Haiti/Zimbabwe are 'doing really bad economically' is quite obvious: the populations that inhabit these places are too racially degraded to have anything otherwise.

On the other hand, Japan/Korea -- much better population quality (compared with the former places), combined with other external factors that have contributed to their relatively swift development.

SuuT
Saturday, August 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Here are the three reasons, recognisable by any and all reasonable observers, why the whole of sub-Saharan Africa is incapable of even a proto-merchantilism (and continuously bombing them with UN gruel won't change it ):

1.) Yes, religion is a factor but has little to do with Christianity beyond the attempted integration of Christianity into indigenous spiritual practices which muddles everything. I have been to most Sub-Saharan African countries, and here is the tie that binds (turn off your TV...): [B]Rampant Mysticism - e.g. most people still do not believe that sexual intercourse leads to pregnancy.

2.) Rampant Violent Tribalism: by the gods if the whole of the continent isn't like a gigantic Los Angeles. You can take the black man out of Africa; but you cannot take Africa out of the black man. (The same is true of 'whites', incidentally).

3.) Racial Composition i.e. Genetic limitations and definite Genotypic Circumscriptions: Nature has selected this Human group for extinction.